What is orientation?
Orientation is when students who are new to St Andrews settle in. You can find out about the events you must attend in order to prepare for your first classes here: Matriculation – Orientation – University of St Andrews (st-andrews.ac.uk)
The first week of university can feel a little bit overwhelming as you will meet lots of new people and be given a lot of new information. Here are some ways that you can look after your own wellbeing which will help you enjoy and manage this transition.
- Plan your week- make a list of the things you want to do, and the things that you must attend. Some events will be optional- so remember that you are not expected to do everything.
- Set some alarms/reminders on your phone to help you to stick to your plan.
- Try to make sure you are getting enough sleep. If you have a late night, try to catch up on some sleep the following day. You might like to plan time for a nap or get an early night.
- Get some fresh air and gentle exercise each day- whether it’s a walk around the campus, a game of football or some gentle yoga, this will help you to feel calm and in control.
- Make time for your hobbies. After a busy day, give yourself some time to do something that you really enjoy. This might be playing a video game, meeting a friend, cooking a nice meal or watching a film.
- Think about using some strategies to help you in case you feel overstimulated. For example; if you are in a busy space would you like to have headphones with you? Maybe you like using a fidget cube or similar device? Might you like to sit at the end of a row of people or near an exit in case you need to excuse yourself for a short break.
- If you would like to know more, further details about ‘Orientation’ can be found here: Orientation – University of St Andrews (st-andrews.ac.uk)
- And you can download the Student App here: Student app – University of St Andrews (st-andrews.ac.uk) and/or the ‘University of St Andrews guide’ here: University of St Andrews – Apps on Google Play
- You can watch this short video to see what some current students have to say about studying at St Andrews. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcTfuJzYpzo
- And to find out more about ‘Student Services’ you can watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lrQJAv5U7I